Installations of Nonresidential Glazing on the Rise

Source: The American Architectural Manufacturers Association

The total nonresidential glazing vision area installed in the United States in 2013 increased 3 percentcompared to 2012, and 7 percent compared to 2011, according to the Study of the U.S. Market for Windows, Doors and Skylights from the American Architectural Manufacturers Association, as researched by Ducker Worldwide, www.ducker.com.
U.S. new construction and major additions constituted 65 percent of all vision installations, with renovations making up the remaining 35 percent. The new construction and major additions vision area was up 6 percent in 2013 as compared to 2011. Replacement/renovation vision area increased 8 percent in 2013 as compared to 2011.

For new construction by project type, the retail segment (stores, other mercantile) saw the most glazing installations by far in 2013, with 30 percent of market share. The next largest segment was high rise multi-family, with 16 percent, and then educational, with 12 percent. 

Looking at product type, storefront windows represented the largest market segment, with 27.2 percent of overall installed nonresidential glazing in 2013, followed by site-fabricated windows making up 25.9 percent. Shop-fabricated windows made up 23.6 percent of installations, and curtain wall, the remaining 22.8. Of all product types, shop-fabricated windows saw the largest gains from 2011 to 2013, increasing 10.5 percent.