From the fabricator: Code insight
The latest issue of Glass Magazine features a tremendous column by Julie Ruth on the code process. Simply put, everyone should take a few minutes to read it. Thanks to efforts from people like Julie, our industry still has a voice. But she points out that voice could have been silenced and sometimes isn’t as strong as it needs to be. No matter how you feel about the codes or their facilitators (and those who know me, know I have passionate feelings here), they are a major player in our world and will only become more so. The moral here is no matter what vehicle you want to take through the code process (yourself, trade organization, suppliers, collaborative, etc.) it’s important that you do.
- Another year and another round of the Solutia World of Color Awards. As I noted when this was created, I loved the idea and overall concept. The jury was just announced, and the team at Solutia did a great job identifying some super people. Programs like this and YKK's YouTube video contest are great and positive interest builders for our industry. Props to Aimee Davis and team, and good luck with the contest!
- And speaking of kudos, I'm also sending them north of the border to Danik Dancause and Matthew Christie on their new promotions at Walker Glass. I have known Danik for awhile, and aside from being the best-dressed guy in our industry, he is an absolute talent. As for Matt, a very sharp guy that I met for the first time at GlassBuild. I can tell you that after we met, he basically figured out that I am nuts. So that alone proves he has brains! Good luck gentlemen.
- Who are you taking in the LSU-Alabama game? I just wish there was a playoff in college football. Can you imagine THOSE bracket contests? Wow.
- For you folks who love architecture, how about this great blog post on 15 architects who changed our world. Really good stuff, even if you just look at only the pictures.
- Last this week, back to the world of sports. Those of you who may be fans of Indiana University basketball, congrats on the return of your team to national prominence. IU upset #1 Kentucky on Saturday with a buzzer beater and looks to be headed in the right direction.
The author is founder of Sole Source Consultants, a consulting firm for the building products industry that specializes in marketing, branding, communication strategy and overall reputation management, as well as website and social media, and codes and specifications. E-mail him at MaxP@SoleSourceConsultants.com.
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual author and do not necessarily reflect those of the National Glass Association, Glass Magazine editors, or other glassblog contributors.