The Architectural Billings Index bounced back in May after a very bad April, which for many observers is a major positive. Combine that with a very positive business attitude right now (most people are saying they are very busy and doing well), and you have a nice little moment happening. Hopefully it lasts for a very long while. I know we are not close to the "good ole days" but we are surely in a better place than we have been. Let's keep it going!
- As you may have heard by now the big ASHRAE meeting took place a couple of weeks ago (Read this Glass Magazine article for some background). After more than 70 negative comments from the industry and interested observers, the task committee decided to delay any action to reduce the window to wall ratio on the prescriptive path of ASHRAE 189.1. They will take this all in, and should, given all of the consensus at play here, make the right call to not go forward with their plans to limit the use of glass. The industry came through this time, which is quite exciting to say the least. Hopefully now there is nothing that gets in the way of the right call being made by this committee.
- The Wall Street Journal had a nice little piece on Guardian and their new relationship with Koch Brothers. Always good when our industry can be placed in a positive light. It's online if you have a subscription to the WSJ, otherwise, you'll have to wait 'til the pay wall comes down.
- Congrats to Oldcastle BuildingEnvelope. They recently picked up an award for their advertising of their BIM product. It was a great campaign, and they deserved it. I have picked on Oldcastle in the past, but I have also been complimentary when applicable, and this is surely the case.
- For those of you who run or exercise with music, I recommend a great song to add to your playlist: "We Own It" by 2Chainz and Wiz Khalifa. It's from the latest Fast and Furious movie, and it's a great piece.
- Yes, in the same blog I noted that business is good, the industry has consensus, complimented Oldcastle and recommended a tune by a guy named 2Chainz. I am guessing the world will be ending tomorrow for sure. Ha Ha.
- I am starting to get excited for the Glazing Executives Forum at GlassBuild America. The State of the Industry panel is coming together, and I will tell you this: it is going to be a blockbuster. There will be really strong leaders speaking on the subjects that affect this world every day, from all-different walks of our industry life. More information coming soon, but needless to say, you will want to be there for this session!
- Last this week, on Tuesday, I celebrate my 2nd anniversary on my own. Thank you to everyone who supported and continues this adventure. My family and I will are and will always be grateful.
The author is founder of Sole Source Consultants, a consulting firm for the building products industry that specializes in marketing, branding, communication strategy and overall reputation management, as well as website and social media, and codes and specifications. E-mail him at MaxP@SoleSourceConsultants.com.
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual author and do not necessarily reflect those of the National Glass Association, Glass Magazine editors, or other glassblog contributors.