Guardian Announces Price Increase
In an April 17 letter to North American customers, Guardian Industries announced it would increase prices, effective with shipments beginning May 19, 2014. The price increases are as follows:
- 15 percent on clear glass from 1 millimeter to 2.2 mm in thickness
- 9 percent on clear glass from 6 mm to 19 mm in thickness
- 7 percent on clear glass from 2.3 mm to 5 mm in thickness
- 9 percent on all tinted float glass excluding CrystalGray
- 6.5 percent on low iron substrates
- 5 percent on all laminated and mirror products
In the letter, Guardian officials attributed the increase to "higher costs for the materials and services used in manufacturing and distribution of high quality glass products." Guardian's energy and transportation surcharges will remain in full effect and adjusted quarterly, according to the letter.
This most recent price increase follows a November price increase, also attributed to rising material and service costs. Guardian assures customers it is working on manufacturing and administrative efficiency, but "the cost escalations for these areas are outpacing our reduction effort," officials state in the letter.